For full details on our health and safety procedures please refer to our Reopening Plan document. Updates to the plan and latest information on school-specific health and safety procedures are communicated to families via e-mail and posted on our website as well as the Scoop.
At the Co-op we believe that our students’ academic, emotional, social and physical well-being are best served by being physically in school when possible. We are fully prepared to shift to distance learning should it become necessary.
We are living in a time where facts and updates are occurring on a daily basis. Our guide attempts to capture most if not all of the issues that are important to families, students and staff members based upon feedback we have received from our Co-op families and the advice and guidelines from our Covid Response Team and the wider medical community. Please refer below to the compilation of all Health & Safety Protocols, Practices, and Guidelines for full details.
The Co-op is open for full time in-person instruction. Our relatively small class sizes provide us with the flexibility of creating small, stable cohorts in each class and some classes will be relocated to accomplish this task. Lessons are conducted outdoors as much as possible, with extra ventilation, safety, and social distancing protocols implemented both indoors and out. Remote learning option, comprising of both synchronous and asynchronous lessons, is available for families that are unable to participate in our in-person instruction.
The school enforces adherence to all health and safety guidelines spelled out in greater detail in our Covid Response Plan, as well as communications by our Medical Subcommittee.
Our teachers and staff adhere to strict safety protocols to insure their personal safety as well as those of their students. We have put many safety measures in place to support reopening and mitigate risk from the virus, including:
- Strict mask wearing and physical distancing protocols
- Enhanced hygiene and cleaning practices
- Daily health screening and temperature checking, and a strict illness/attendance policy
- Maximum use of outdoor spaces, including tents and sun shades
- Opened windows, doors and window fans to ventilate and provide airflow
- No outside visitors allowed into the building during school hours, with the exception of a health and safety emergency
All those who enter school grounds, including students, staff, and visitors must wear masks or appropriate face coverings at all times except during scheduled and organized “mask breaks.”
If you are unable to wear a mask or face covering, you cannot enter school property.
When entering school grounds to drop off students at designated outdoor drop off locations, parents and caregivers must wear masks. For students that may not be able to or want to wear a mask, the school is providing remote learning. The nose and mouth need to be covered. Have your child wear whichever face covering/mask that they are most comfortable wearing. We understand that if your child is most comfortable in the mask they are wearing, there will be higher compliance. Please note that masks with the “valve” on the front are not adequate and should not be used.
In an effort to keep our community as safe as possible and to limit the number of visitors coming into our school, we will continue to have our General Membership Meetings, assemblies and parent education programs take place virtually on the Zoom platform.
Due to the risks involved in traveling and visiting unfamiliar places, daytime field trips and overnight trips will not take place for the moment. We understand that field trips are an integral part of a Co-op education and we look forward to the possibility of resuming field trips once it is safe to do so.
Careful and consistent personal hygiene is critical to fighting the spread of infectious disease. All members of the Co-op should wash their hands frequently with soap and water or hand sanitizer (especially before and after classes, meals, or using the restroom), Hand sanitizer is available in all classrooms and in various locations throughout the school.
The Co-op follows cleaning and disinfecting protocols provided by the CDC to reduce the transmission of COVID19. This includes:
- Daily thorough cleaning of the facility and daily frequent wipe down of high touch areas using the EPA approved disinfectants.
- Every classroom and office will be equipped with disinfectant wipes.
- Teachers will ensure that high-touch classroom surfaces such as door handles and desktops are cleaned multiple times per day, and especially between uses by different groups.
- Staff will do the same for their offices and conference spaces.
- Sharing of materials by students will be limited to the extent possible, and all shared items will be cleaned between uses.
- Shared play equipment on the playground will be cleaned between uses using a spray EPA approved disinfectant.
Health and Safety
Helpful information from health agencies and other sources
- Novel Coronavirus News – Montclair Township
- NJDOH: COVID-19 Activity Level Index (CALI) Weekly Reports
- How To Get Tested For COVID-19 In New Jersey
- NJDOH: Which states are on the travel advisory list? Are there travel restrictions to or from New Jersey?
- CDC: Understand the potential risks of going out
- CDC: How to Protect Yourself & Others